You Can Be Good at Something and Yet Not Pursue It

I'm sure you know lots of people who just have a knack for certain things.

Like your friend Remy, who can talk the ear off of someone (in a good way!) by always have a passion for the topic the conversation is about. Or Isaiah and his way of encouraging people.

Or the Queens of the Internet: Instagram Queen, Journaling Queen, Writing Help Queen, Witty Character Queen, and more.

But what if they didn't LIKE doing those things?


What if their heart wasn't in it?

In my long professional time as a blogger, I've seen many rise and fall. A lot of my favorite people and content producers kept throwing mind-boggling stuff at me until--whoa, wait a minute.

It's been 18 months since their last post?

Their corner of the world went silent. Why? Because even though they were amazing at what they did, eventually their heart was no longer in it. Life called them on to something else.

It's taken me a long time to understand that people can be good at things and still not want to do them. I'm not talking about being good at cleaning* or filing papers or things that could easily be turned into chores -- though they count too. I'm leaning more toward talents that seem like they were a blessing from God above.

* I love cleaning. Cleaning is part of my self-love time, no joke.
Take Kate from Clover and Dot for example. An ah-mazing up and coming blogger / YouTuber in 2015. But it's been over a year since she last published anything. Then after I did some Internet stalking, I found out she designs stickers.

What do I think happened? (This is pieced together through guesswork and great detective skills.) I think Kate loved creating content. She was great at it too! She had the right aesthetic, vibe, and skill set. She had the equipment. But it wasn't fulfilling something deep inside. Now when she was designing her site and offering her services to other people, that felt good. But it wasn't quite it either. She realized headers and buttons were her thing. Little clip art that made people laugh or smile or think. She followed her heart and started creating in the way that she was not only good at, but made her feel good.

Is there something in your life that's like this? An area where people have complimented you time and time again but you can only half-smile because you don't really feel it? Something that used to bring you joy and you've developed a skill for it, but now it's a burden?

I urge you to step away from that thing, friend. Broaden your horizons. Use what used to light you up to find something new.

Remember, just because you're good at something, it doesn't mean you HAVE to keep doing it.

Is there something you're good at that you're going to STOP doing?

1 comment :

  1. this is such a unique perspective; people usually say "pursue the things you're good at!" i'll be thinking about this post of a looong time... thank you!

    ~natasha

    ReplyDelete

My Instagram

Copyright © Two Point Perspective. Made with by OddThemes